Tuesday, March 24, 2009

College is ruining my love for the classics...

OK, so obviously I've made it clear that I enjoy reading. I can appreciate the classics, as well as the newest fads. I'm 21 years old and yet I wouldn't mind re-reading one of Judy Blume's pre-teen classics, such as "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret." The next day I may pop open Cormac McCarthy's suspenseful novel, "No Country For Old Men," or perhaps a Stephen King thriller like "Misery." I never get tired of indulging in a romantic novel like a Nicholas Sparks one. And of course, "The Iliad" is definitely one of my favorite page turners, along with Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice." Clearly, I like a variety.

But all in all, I want to read what I want to read. Academia is great, really it is. But it's getting in the way of my reading list. I have at least 10 books floating around my head that I'd like to be reading right now. (Practical Magic, Wuthering Heights, On The Road, and Confessions of a Shopaholic are a few.) The problem? There is just not enough time. Constantly having to read yet another Shakespeare play, or another philosophical excerpt from Plato is beginning to drag on my nerves. I don't want to read them anymore! Sure, they're the classics. I should love reading them, but I don't. I feel as if there is something wrong with me for wanting to read "Practical Magic" over "Hamlet". But it's to the point where college criteria is beginning to ruin my love for the classics. Can I please have a break?

No comments:

Post a Comment