Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Bandwagon

I don't care what anyone says. The Twilight series is remarkable. The Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks, is another “one” that I absolutely adore. Judge me if you must, (though I'll probably strongly dislike you for doing so) but I cannot help but jump on the bandwagon with some of the overly popularized “ones.”

By “ones,” I mean the Harry Potter geek saga, Danielle Steele’s juicy romance novels, every Nicholas Sparks’ book to ever hit bookshelves (and theaters), and of course, Stephenie Meyer’s vampire craze, Twilight. Overall, every book that has ever been dramatically marketed, gossiped, or made into action figures. Or an animated TV series.

Yet “one” that I have never been able to force myself to read and enjoy is the Harry Potter series. Naturally, I began with the Chamber of Secrets. After getting through the first few chapters, I felt the strong urge to burn my book. I attempted the movie and fell asleep halfway through—in the midst of a cram packed theater.

I take this in a positive way though. Maybe I’m not prone to falling into the traps of all the “ones.”After all, just a glimpse at a Danielle Steele book and my skin crawls.

1 comment:

  1. Blasphemous!

    You know I love anything Edward and Bella but before them HP rocked. The movies suck, yes, but I got lost in those books so many times. It was a great place to escape from real life.

    Never was a Nicolas Sparks or Danielle Steele fan myself though...maybe I just enjoy children's books ha!

    ReplyDelete